Yearly Archive2018

Cleaning Algae off Your Roof Shingles

A lot of people overlook the formation of algae or moss on their roof, as they are not much aware of the damage it can cause and can even result in decay.

When the growing algae start to act as food to the moss, the moss acts like a sponge to absorb rainwater. This can result in the water seeping under the shingles and into the structure of the building if the moss’s top layer gets dense. This, in turn, results in the formation of mold that can promote rot.  

This is why it is important that if you spot the presence of algae or moss on the shingles, you clean it off.

Clean algae of the shingles without damaging the roof:

The most important thing is that you should not ever clean your roof using a high-pressure washer.

A high-pressure washer can cause the protective elements and the granules of the shingles to wear off. Stripping of these protective components reduces the longevity of the shingles.

If you are deciding to clean off the moss using a broom, make sure the bristles are not stiff enough to cause the granules to strip off.

Zinc Sulfate:

This chemical usually comes in the form of a powder. You can apply this directly to the areas where there are moss and algae to clean it off, it is advised that for every 600 sq. ft, you use pounds of zinc sulfate.

While Zinc Sulfate can prevent algae for up to three years, it is recommended that you apply it yearly to ensure that the algae do not regrow.

It is recommended to not do this on a windy day and cover your plants before doing this, as zinc sulfate can damage plants.

In order to uphold the long time protection of your roof, early removal of algae is extremely important

Handling the algae at the onset of its growth can help improve the longevity of your roof. Overlooking the growth of algae and moss on your roof can result in additional damage and maintenance costs. We recommend hiring a professional roofing service company to properly treat any algae issue you may have.